The ODI series between Australia and Zimbabwe had been called off by both cricket boards due to the outbreak of COVID-19.
It may be recalled how Australian head coach Justin Langer had once said that the resumption of their tour against Zimbabwe is unlikely. Today, Cricket Australia (CA) has confirmed the postponement their match series against Zimbabwe which was scheduled on August 9, 12, and 15.
CA has already talked to Zimbabwe Cricket about the current scenario and the two boards have mutually decided that the series be postponed. The mutual conclusion between the two cricket boards considers ‘the short length of the series, the significant bio-security measures that would need to be implemented prior to August, and concern for the health and safety of players, match officials, and volunteers’.
As per interim CA chief executive Nick Hockley, ‘While we are disappointed to postpone the series, CA and ZC agree that in the best interest of players, match officials, volunteers as well as our fans, that this is the most practical and sensible decision. We are committed to working with Zimbabwe Cricket on alternative dates to reschedule’.
With regards to the postponement, acting Zimbabwe Cricket managing director Givemore Makoni says, ‘We were excited about facing Australia but, given the circumstances, deferring the tour was the only option. We are, however, looking forward to the rescheduling of the series as soon as practically possible’.
The two teams were supposed to face one another in three different ODIs. To learn more about how ODIs are played, head over to Betwala.
READ MORE: A Beginner’s Guide on How to Play Cricket