The ECB board has announced that their chairman Colin Graves will step down from his position on August 31.
Colin Graves will succeed Shashank Manohar as ICC chairman and aims to end his position in November 2020. However, he decided to end his term earlier than expected as The Hundred gets pushed to 2021.
‘With the launch of The Hundred unavoidably moved to 2021, I have reviewed last year's extension of my term as Chair, and put a request to the Board to now finish early, on 31 August’, Graves said.
As he will step down from the post on August 31, the board announced that Ian Watmore will be his successor. After then, Watmore’s appointment in the position will be ratified by the end of the month.
Commenting about his successor Ian Watmore, Graves says, ‘It feels important to both the game and the ECB Board, to allow Ian Watmore to commence his role earlier than originally agreed. I have no doubt that his wealth of experience in sport, business and government will be invaluable as we navigate through this crisis’.
The postponement of The Hundred plays a huge role in Graves’ decision of stepping down earlier than expected. The Hundred follows a unique 100-ball cricket tournament which is different from the usual formats of cricket. To learn more about cricket formats, head over to Betwala.
READ MORE: A Beginner’s Guide on How to Play Cricket