The BCCI has decided to call off their match tours against Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe amid the threat of COVID-19.
Originally, the Indian national team was supposed to tour Sri Lanka on June 24 and Zimbabwe on August 22. However, the BCCI decided to call off the said tours to ensure the safety of their players and staff in the looming threat of COVID-19.
The BCCI’s decision was announced by board secretary Jay Shah a day after Sri Lanka Cricket expressed how hopeful they were to host the said tour. The board has also highlighted how they would not rush into anything at the moment.
‘The BCCI is determined to take steps towards the resumption of international and domestic cricket, but it will not rush into any decision that will jeopardize the efforts put in by the Central and State governments and several other respective agencies in containing the spread of the coronavirus’, their statement said.
Aside from the tours of India against Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe, the tour against South Africa by the end of August also becomes more uncertain. So far, the BCCI has not committed to any other cricket board. Still, they told the CSA that they may think of stopping by after their Zimbabwe tour has been concluded.
Supposedly, the Sri Lankan tour will be composed of three ODIs and T20Is. The Zimbabwean tour, on the other hand, will just be composed of three ODIs. To further understand these formats of cricket, check out Betwala.
READ MORE: A Beginner’s Guide on How to Play Cricket