Kent County Cricket Club revokes their contract offer for New Zealander Matt Henry in light of the COVID-19 outbreak.
New Zealand fast bowler Matt Henry becomes the latest player whose contract for county cricket has been withdrawn. Due to the global struggle brought upon by COVID-19, several cricket games, including the County Championship had been postponed indefinitely.
Henry was supposed to play for Kent in its side’s first-seven matches in the County Championship games. Their first game was supposed to be held this Sunday against Lancashire at the Old Trafford. However, due to the match suspensions, all of the games have been pushed until at least May 28.
In a club statement posted by Kent, they said, ‘Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and disruption to the official start of the 2020 county cricket season, both the club and player have decided to cancel plans which would have seen Henry return to Kent for a second time’.
Aside from that, Kent confirmed that the club continues to have a great relationship with Henry. They also thanked Henry for understanding the current situation that the club faces. They also said how they are looking forward to work with him again.
Henry first played for Kent in 2018 where he had claimed a total of 75 wickets in a span of 11 matches. His performance helped their side to win the promotion to the first division of that season’s championship.
Henry came next to Nathan Lyon of Hampshire and Michael Neser of Surrey to have a cancelled contract amid COVID-19. His team, the Kent County Cricket Club actively participates in the T20 Blast League. To know about this sports league, visit Betwala.
READ MORE: What is the T20 Blast League?