Surrey has officially cancelled the contract of Michael Neser in line with the suspension of the Surrey County Championship.
Michael Neser becomes the first official player to have been directly affected by the COVID-19 situation when his contract becomes suddenly cancelled. Neser had a contract with Surrey where he was supposed to play for the first half in the Surrey County Championship. However, as the season became suspended, so did his contract with the county cricket club.
The season had been suspended until at least May 28. However, Australia’s indefinite travel ban for its citizens affected the possibility of Neser’s participation in the said event. With Australia’s implementation being considered, the contract had been voided after having a mutual agreement between the two parties.
Alec Stewart, Surrey’s director of cricket, shared a statement with regards to the situation when he said, ‘Given the testing times we find ourselves in, I would like to thank Michael Neser and his management company for their total understanding of the current situation and full agreement of this decision’.
Other counties are also dealing with both financial and schedule problems after the sport had been widely affected by the global pandemic. Despite having the season suspended until May 28, there is still uncertainty as to when the season may really push through.
The Surrey County Cricket Club is one of the teams which fall under the T20 Blast League. To know more about this league, head over to Betwala.
READ MORE: What is the T20 Blast League?